St Joseph's School and Sisters of Mercy Convent

The Convent on Canvey was originally set up in the 1920's by Anglican Nuns, after the war during which it was requisitioned by the War department, the Sisters of Mercy came to the Island and took over the old convent. They set up the school which eventually had a new building opened in 1955 and dedicated to St Joseph. The convent as we know it today was built in 1971. As it is difficult to distinguish between the school and convent we decided to keep all pictures and stories together.

Page link: Inside The Convent
Inside The Convent
December 1972
Page link: S E Essex Primary Schools Athletics Champions
S E Essex Primary Schools Athletics Champions
Sent in by Stephen Reynolds
Page link: Two new St Joseph Pictures
Two new St Joseph Pictures
Thanks to Leigh Sargent
Page link: St Joseph's School
St Joseph's School
Early pictures inside the school
Page link: Canvey Island's school full on opening day
Canvey Island's school full on opening day
Catholic Herald 30th September 1955
Page link: Canvey's New Convent
Canvey's New Convent
Essex Countryside 1970s