Deadman's Battery

Scarhouse Farm

By Janet Penn

Photo:From a series of photos taken in 1941

From a series of photos taken in 1941

This photo was taken in 1941 shows the Deadman's Battery near Scarhouse farm. To the far right is Canvey Fort, to the north is the Gas sausage. We wondered what the very square lines were on the photo just to the north. They can be seen again in the photo below taken in 1953. Looking at a later map we found they were in fact drains. As they look fairly newly dug in the top 1941 photo we wondered if they could have been done by the soldiers, although this area was not part of the land requisitioned by the War Department.

Photo:Photo taken in 1953

Photo taken in 1953

Scars Elbow Battery, Canvey Island, 1953 - Britain from Above

Photo:Portion of the War Department Requisition map dated 1941

Portion of the War Department Requisition map dated 1941

This page was added by Janet Penn on 04/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.