The Bridge crossing viewed from South Benfleet

Post Cards of the Benfleet Creek Crossing

By David Bullock

On 21st May 1930 work began on a Bridge to replace the ferry from South Benfleet to Canvey Island. A year later on 21st May 1931 the bridge was opened by Col Colvin, the bridge taking on his name.

These Post Cards view the Bridge from South Benfleet looking over the creek to Canvey Island.

Photo:Colvin Bridge and New Road
Photo:New Colvin Bridge
Photo:Colvin Bridge as seen from Benfleet Downs
Photo:The new Underpass - 1963. Prior to this traffic had to travel over the railway crossing. The signal box can still be seen.
Photo:The Colvin Bridge - opened 21st May 1931
Photo:Looking south east at the 'New' Bridge with the old ferry road vearing right
Photo:Colvin Bridge to Canvey Island
Photo:Thames Barge - Colvin Bridge open - The warning bells used to ring for the barriers
Photo:This is probably May 1932 before the opening ceremony as vehicles can be clearly seen still using the old crossing
Photo:A bus travels on to Canvey Island
Photo:The Railway Crossing
Photo:Colvin Bridge
This gallery was added by David Bullock on 10/03/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.