The Boating Lake

survived from 1935-1953

By Janet Penn

Before the war Mr Beaumont, the owner of the Casino, rented the land between the Casino and the seafront and built a boating lake with wooden bridges across it for access to the beach. The bridges were dismantled during the war because they were seen by the authorities as an invasion threat.

Visitors were able to rent a rowing boat and paddle up and down the lake which was parallel with the seawall. This became a very popular pastime but was very labour intensive with constant repairs and maintenance needed.

After the 1953 flood when the seawall was made higher the boating lake was filled in by the Council using Canvey's waste.

More can be read about the Casino on Dave's Website

Photo:View South East from the Casino balcony showing the new Boating Pool and Concord Cafe behind the Sea Wall

View South East from the Casino balcony showing the new Boating Pool and Concord Cafe behind the Sea Wall

©Swann Family

Photo:View South East from the Casino showing the new Boating Pool and pre-1953 Sea Wall

View South East from the Casino showing the new Boating Pool and pre-1953 Sea Wall

©Swann Family

Photo:View South from the Casino showing the new Boating Pool

View South from the Casino showing the new Boating Pool

©Swann Family

Photo:Pre War view looking east at the finished Boating Pool

Pre War view looking east at the finished Boating Pool

©Swann Family

This page was added by Janet Penn on 01/06/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.