The Lobster Smack Inn and Sluice Farm

The Beckwith Family

By Janet Penn

The following two pictures are of the Lobster Smack Inn, Hole Haven taken in 1895.

Photo:The Lobstersmack Inn and the Coastguards hut 1895

The Lobstersmack Inn and the Coastguards hut 1895

Richard & Barbara Kovelant


At the time these photographs were taken the publican of the Lobster Smack Inn was Charles Beckwith, later to be followed by his son, also called Charles. The family also owned Sluice Farm shown in the third picture below. The Beckwith family were to run the Inn from 1862-1915. Following his return from active service during WW1 Charles jnr purchased Attwells the butchers in the village, which he ran until 1947. Both Charles snr and jnr are buried in St Katherine's Churchyard.

Photo:The back of the Lobstersmack Inn 1895

The back of the Lobstersmack Inn 1895

Richard & Barbara Kovelant

Charles Jnr's grandson, Alan Blackwood has collected together a lot of pictures of the Lobster Smack and the Beckwith family which have never seen before and along with the family's history and some interesting titbits about life on Canvey, Alan has created a website.

Photo:Sluice Farm (Beckwith's Farm) 1895

Sluice Farm (Beckwith's Farm) 1895

Richard & Barbara Kovelant


Alan's website can be seen by clicking on the link below:

The Beckwith's, The Lobster Smack Inn and Sluice Farm, Canvey Island

This page was added by Janet Penn on 07/11/2009.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.